Sunday, February 3, 2008

First of all, I gave up on trying to get those pictures in my blog because it was causing me too much stress. So, for all of you who were looking forward to seeing them, I'm sorry. Just know that it was a lot of fun. I went snowmobiling yesterday with Dad, Uncle Walt, and Derek. It was also a lot of fun but it was the hardest trip I have been on in probably forever. There was probably 3 feet of just powder and no base. I ended up stuck many times and when we dug out, we hit the ground. Some places if we stepped off of our machines we would sink up to our waste. It was a lot of fun. But, we didn't bring a camera to get pictures, so once again, no pictures from me. :-(.
This has been a crazy week for me. About a month ago I lost my previous job and spent about three weeks looking for a new one. There are a lot of jobs in Vernal but I have had some jobs that I have hated so I have become very picky in my job selection. Probably not always the best thing, but I have decided that life is too short and you spend too much time at work to wake up dreading to go in every day. Liking what you do is essential. Anyway, that was my soap box for the day. I ended up finding a job that I started on January 25. But I just did paperwork that day. On Monday, the 28, I offically started. I am working as a Scrub Tech in the OR at the hospital here. It has been quite an intense job. Mostly all that I have done is observe surgeries and help set up and take down and clean up for the surgeries. They want me to get used to being in the OR before I help with any of the surgeries. I also have to pass certain things off before I can do a whole lot. I have a long way to go. On Friday I had to be at work at 6 am because we had a c-section scheduled and my boss wanted me to see that. We go there and set up and waited for the patient. Eventually they were ready to go. The doctor looked around and realized that only one scrub tech was scrubbed in and thought that there should be two. So, they told me to go scrub in. I was quite stressed. I had never participated in a procedure before. So, I went and scrubbed in and I got to help with the c-section. I help hold all of the tissues and stuff out of the way, I help stitch the patient up, everything. It was so cool.
I have seen a lot of really neat things the last week and I will see more and more as I go, especially as I actually participate in the surgeries and not just watch. But, because of the intensity of the job, I have been so tired the last week. The last time I remember being this tired was the first few weeks of my mission. I would crash everyday. But it has been very fun. Once I get used to the hours and stress of the job I think that I am really going to love it.

6 comments:

Ponczoch Family said...

Wow. That's really all that I can say. What an interesting job with amazing experiences.

Sara Ann said...

Amy- That sounds like a way cool job! I can't wait to hear more interesting stories:)

Brooke Bennett said...

What a fun, but very tiring job!

Peter and Julia said...

I am so glad you found a job!!! A good one, too! Wow! That is really neat... I'm so glad I didn't have to see my own C-section. I can't imagine what goes on down there for it! You are very cool to be able to do that! Have fun!

Amy said...

Today I did a total knee replacement! It was pretty neat to see!

Mike & Aubrey Janowicz said...

Hey Amy, I just found out about your blog! That sounds like quite the job you have!