Ok, lately I have been to the movies quite a few times. There isn't a whole lot else to do in below freezing weather in Vernal. Plus there have been a lot of movies come out lately that I have been interested in seeing. So, to the movies I have gone.
As I have watched this variety of movies I have to say that I am becoming more and more upset with the crap that is put into movies. Lets take a few of the movies that I have recently viewed.
1-
"Yes Man". Honestly, I really enjoyed this movie. It had a great moral: get out and try things! It had Jim Carey in it, which we all know can be kind of sketchy sometimes, but he does usually provide a good laugh. Such was the case with this movie. It was great. I enjoyed almost the whole movie. But because of two parts in the movie that I think were totally inappropriate, I won't refer it to anyone. What a waste of an almost good movie. Yes, it was PG-13, but the one was dropping the F-bomb and it was only a few short years ago that it was only heard in R movies. I am so frustrated that almost every PG-13 you see anymore, someone drops it. NOT COOL! The other part I am just going to say that you don't really see anything but you know what it happening, but I think that it is happening way to often in PG-13 movies too. Both of these things could have been left out with out really ruining the story line, and it would have been a much better movie with out them.2-
"He's just not that into you". I went to this movie because I have decided that just the title is a perfect thesis statement for my dating life. I knew from watching the previews that there was going to be some sexual references, and decided that I wanted to see it anyway. What I didn't realize was how bad it would be. The story follows different men and women. They all have something different. One of the couples is married. The husband ends up meeting another girl and totally cheats on his wife with her. I know that this is more common then we think, but I don't think that it should be glamorized the way it was. The F-bomb is also dropped in this movie. Once again, totally not appropriate. Once again, I really enjoyed the rest of the movie. I really felt like I could understand the one girl because, although she was a bit more extreme then me, she was a lot like I am when it comes to overanalyzing every stupid little thing that happens with guys. I know it is pathetic but that is how it is. However, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because of those things.3-
"Twilight". Ok, be honest, how many of you read the books, loved them, and were dying to see the movie, saw the movie and fell in love with Edward all over again? Not me. Almost everyone I know had read the books. I never did. I figure I will someday, but it isn't really very high on my to do list. But, when the movie came out I had a friend that wanted to see it and I was curious so I went with her. I have to be honest. On the outside, this was a very clean movie, except for the fact that he watches her sleep...creepy, this appeared to be very clean. But as I watched this movie I came to realize one reason there are so many pregnant teenagers. The affect this movie had on my hormones was astonishing. It took me a while after the movie to feel back in control. If I would have been with a boy, I can almost guarantee that there would have been some serious make out sessions going on. I know that it sounds a little extreme, but I am serious. This movie had a bigger affect on my hormones then any movie I have seen in a while. I was quite shocked. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the movie, but I was amazed at how it played such a huge part on my hormones.Those are just a few examples of movies that I have had this experience with and they are the freshest in my mind right now. I don't want anyone to think that I am perfect and trying to be holier-then-thou. I'm not, because if I were, I wouldn't have gone to the movies in the first place. I would have stayed at home and watched "CareBears". I'm just saying that it is frustrating to go to a movie that could be great without all the crap, but have the crap in it so that they can get their ratings. It drives me crazy! Why ruin a good thing? Also, I don't have kids, but if I did, I wouldn't want them to go see these movies just because of those few things. It is a sad waste.
On that note, I have been to a couple of movies that I really enjoyed and would refer to people. So that I don't leave on a sour note, I will share those too.
1.
"Bedtime Stories". I was kind of skeptical at first because it does have Adam Sandler in it and he can be a bit sketchy at times. But I was very impressed with this movie. It was a little cheesy, but most happy feel good movies are. It was an easy, entertaining movie. I enjoyed it.2.
"Confessions of a Shopaholic". I started reading this book a few years ago and got about a third of the way through it and couldn't handle it anymore. I don't know if it was her style of writing or what but I struggled everytime I picked it up. So, I wasn't really sure that I wanted to see the movie. But one of my co-workers wanted too so I decided to go with her. I loved it. I laughed most of the way through. In a way I felt like I could connect to her. She was a lot more extreeme then me, but I could understand where she was coming from. Also, I don't remember there being even one swear word in the whole movie. There was a relationship interest, but no sex either! It was a pleasent release from the other movies I have seen lately.
And then of course, there is alway Pride and Prejudice. It does have a sex reference, but the way they handle and look down on it is so much better then what we deal with now. It is glorified now, where in P&P it is a horrible thing that happened.So, thank you for dealing with my vent. I do feel a little bit better.
4 comments:
I agree with you all the way. I haven't seen any of those movies yet, but I think movies should be rated by who would best enjoy them. The f-bomb being dropped only 1 time in a movie is so out of place. Right this very minute I'm watching HITCH, the TV version. In the non-TV version someone drops the f-bomb one time, other than that it is actually a clean movie.
Thanks for the reviews! I've been wanting to see "He's Just Not That into You," but I'll pass (or at least wait till it's on dvd so I can watch it edited on clearplay). I'm really glad to hear about "Confessions of a Shopaholic." That's another one I've wanted to see.
Also, that's interesting about the "Twilight" movie. I haven't seen it, but I read the first two books and hate them. And one of the main reasons I hate them is because I'm mad that the Mormon author wrote books that tons of teenage girls are reading that get the hormones going so much. I guess that came through in the movie too. Frustrating.
Why can't movies just be good and leave the unnecessary junk out? Same with tv shows. I love media, but it's getting harder and harder to find anything worth watching these days.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Just wanted to say it! Hope you have a great day
Don't know how I missed this post...but you know that I feel the same way!
Post a Comment