Saturday, October 18, 2008

Apples

Today my mom and I picked apples to make apple pie filling. I don't know how many of you have had the chance to try my mom's apple pie filling, but it is delicious! Anyway, our apples have a lot of worms in them, but if you get up high, there were some really good, beautiful apples. So we climbed up to the very top of the ladder, used an extender arm, and picked some beauties. It was fun.
Last summer I discovered baked apples and became a huge fan. I don't have a specific recipe that I use every time but I decided to make some for dessert from some of these beautiful apples that we picked this afternoon. Since I don't have a set recipe I decided to just wing it and see what we came up with. I was going to put it on the food blog but I don't know if I can and I don't know how. So, you get it on my blog. Here it is, Amy's baked apples

I only made two and I only have rough guesstamates of what I put in so experiment and be creative. Also, I forgot to put nuts but baked apples are really good with chopped pecans or walnuts. I highly recommend adding them. They are good with out nuts too, but better with nuts.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Take apples and use a melon baller to core the apples, leaving a little bit of apple at the bottom. Try to get all the core out while leaving as much of the apple as possible. Remove a strip of peel arond the middle of the apple.
Place the apples in a baking dish.
In a small bowl mix about 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon, and a dash of nutmeg.
Fill the hole in the apples with mixture. Sprinkle any remaining mixture around apples on bottom of the pan. Place about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of butter on top of mixture in each apple. Pour enough water in pan to cover bottom and wet mixture in the pan.
Place in oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until apples are tender.
Remove from pan, scoop out remaining mixture from pan and place on apples. Eat warm and enjoy!
They are very tasty. It is a nice, easy fall treat.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Sounds yummy! I'll have to send you an invite so you can post it on the food blog too if you want.

Unknown said...

those look delicious. every once in a while I get antsy enough to cook something new, and I think I might try that sometime.